Summary of qualifications:
1982 BSc(Hons) in Biochemistry from University of Warwick
1999 Licentiate in Acupuncture (LicAc) from the College of Integrated Chinese Medicine
2004 Post-graduate Diploma in Pre-prepared Chinese Herbal Remedies from the College of Integrated Chinese Medicine
I am a member of the British Acupuncture Council (MBAcC)
I am a member of the NHS Directory of Complementary and Alternative Practitioners.
Ever since my school days, I have been fascinated by health and psychology, particularly by the relationship between food, emotions and behaviour. I felt the best way for me to explore these topics was to study Biochemistry and I graduated with BSc (Hons) from University of Warwick in 1982.
I subsequently spent over 15 years working in finance and management roles for charities and voluntary organisations – mainly health related, ranging from HIV and AIDS through women’s health to learning disabilities.
Whilst looking to change direction and include more direct contact with people in my work, I was inspired by the profound effect acupuncture treatment had on me. Within 3 or 4 sessions I became convinced that I wanted to follow the path of Chinese Medicine and in autumn 1996 I embarked on a 3-year training course at the College of Integrated Chinese Medicine in Reading. I trained in two styles of acupuncture: the Five Element Constitutional Acupuncture and the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), graduating with Licentiate in Acupuncture (LicAc) in 1999.
Since then I have continued with post-graduate training deepening my knowledge of more complex areas of Chinese Medicine, such as:
- Treatment of Auto-immune Conditions with Jeffrey Yuen
- Treatment of Cancer with Acupuncture with Charlie Buck
- Chinese Medical approaches to Metastatic Cancer with Jeffrey Yuen
- Treatment of Complex Diseases with Chinese Medicine with Bob Flaws
- Five Element Masterclass with Nicki Bilton
- Clinical Applications of Eight Extraordinary Meridians and Divergent Meridians with Jeffrey Yuen
- Treatment of Blood Stagnation in Musculo-Skeletal Conditions with David Legge
- Treatment of Blood Stagnation in Internal Diseases with Will Maclean
- Masterclass in Chinese Medical Diagnosis with Bob Flaws
- Treatment of Mental-Emotional Conditions with Bob Flaws
- Treatment of Lingering Pathogens with Will Maclean
- Acupuncture and Herbal Treatment in IVF Protocols with Jill Glover
- Concepts and Characters in Chinese Medicine with Peter Firebrace
- Historical Roots of Gynaecology in Chinese Medicine with Sabine Wilms
- Further Studies in Obstetric (Pregnancy) Acupuncture with Debra Betts
- Medicinal Mushrooms with Martin Powell
- Nourishing Life: Congee and the Quintessence of Chinese Medical Tradition with Prof Volker Scheid
- Clinical Applications of Moxibustion with Dr Suzanne Robidoux
- Yuan Qi Classical Acupuncture with Dr Suzanne Robidoux
In 2013/2014 I completed a year-long postgraduate online course and a week of clinical practice in Neijing Classical Acupuncture with Dr Edward Neal of Xinglin Institute in Portland, Oregon. I resumed my ongoing studies in Neijing Classical Acupuncture in 2018.
An ongoing inspiration for me over the past 19 years have been regular seminars with the French sinologist scholar Elizabeth Rochat de la Valée, looking at the roots of Chinese medicine in classical texts.
Underpinning my acupuncture practice is Taoist cultivation. I have been a Taoist practitioner since 1992 and a member of the British Taoist Association since 2000. In 2004 I was ordained by Master Feng Xing Zhao in China as 31st generation Dao shi of the Longmen (Dragon Gate) branch of Quanzhen (Complete Realisation) School. I practise jing zuo (tranquil sitting) meditation and dao yin.
If you have any questions regarding acupuncture treatment or would like to have an informal chat about how acupuncture could help you
please call me on 07941 872 814